Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Rabbi Mordechai Machlis tells the story of how he came to be a Rebbe in BMT (and be my teacher):

"I didn't have a job for some time after we arrived in Israel in July. I applied for a job at a yeshiva called BMT, Beit Midrash LeTorah. It was summer and very last minute to apply for the coming school year. I went for an interview and they said they were fully staffed. Right before the new semester was about to begin in September he called me and said, 'Listen, this is the year of elections in Israel. The elections are in November. And there's one rabbi who is very much involved in politics. He wants to be free to get involved in the campaign for one of the religious parties. So I'm willing to give you a job from now until November.'

I told him I'd answer him the next day. I said to Henny, 'It's absolutely crazy to take a job from September to November. What if there's nothing available in November?'

She said, 'That's not the proper religious attitude. You have a job today. You're worrying now about November? Worry about November in November.'

So I took the job. And the person who went into politics decided he liked it so much he never came back to the yeshiva. And I was there for 20 years. "

The Story of Rebetzin Henny Machlis, pgs. 133-134

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home