Monday, June 19, 2017

Thank You, and G-d Bless You, Dr. David Shatz

Good, kind, brilliant, humble, talented, accomplished, effective, honest, sincere, real people who don't look for recognition are the ones who deserve it.  And we need them, and we need to recognize them.

On June 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Dr. David Shatz made my day. And I've been meaning to write about it for some time.

After his insightful talk on autonomy in Breishit (regarding the way that man increases in his autonomy and how this dovetails his being held more accountable) I shared a thought and asked a question. He validated the question and said that the point was a good one.  He added that he wanted to write it down and remember to include it in this talk in the future. That made me feel really good.Then he asked my name. He recognized my name, remembered my being a comedian, and said that he thinks of my comedy every time he sees my serious articles, which he also enjoys.   I told him I liked some of his jokes in his talk, to which he replied, "Some?"

Upon more thought I took in how unusually thoughtful he was.  The person before me on line to talk to him after his talk also got complimented by him big time.  She asked a question, and his immediate response was that no-one had ever asked him that before and that it was a great question.  Then I thought back to the talk itself. He acknowledged a scholar who had worked on this topic, said he used a lot of her ideas, and said that without her work he wouldn't have thought of the things he did think of.  Who acknowledges someone else like that? Who is so humble, and honest? Dr. David Shatz.

Now, one year later, it's late but not too late to publicly acknowledge this great man who I saw first hand uplift the minds, hearts, and souls of a room full of people who needed the kind of wisdom and kindness that is uniquely his, and which he generously shares.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely put. Thank you.

June 19, 2017 at 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home